Productivity Defined: “Economic well-being is created in a production process. Production means, in a broad sense, all economic activities that aim directly or indirectly to satisfy human needs. The degree to which the needs are satisfied is often accepted as a measure of economic well-being. The satisfaction of needs originates from the use of the commodities which are produced. The need satisfaction increases when the quality-price-ratio of the commodities improves and more satisfaction is achieved at less cost.” Thanks Wikipedia. I should donate $5 for that. Sounds like my site, right? I hope we are meeting some of your health needs.
For me, 2012 is about productivity. It seems almost everyone I know has some form of ADD. Attention Deficit Disorder. The reason is simple. Due to technological advances, we are now being bombarded with more information than ever before. You may have seen the commercial with a guy on a date with his girlfriend. He’s trying to watch football on his phone while pretending to be attentive to his girl. That sort of sums up how difficult it’s becoming to stay engaged with meaningful activity.
Here is my formula for staying engaged and on task. It’s not that I am always successful at this but at least I have a strategy.
1. No computer or email or smart phone or tablet in the first part of the morning. This is time for remembering who I am, what is important and meaningful to me. Reciting my mission statement or writing it out fresh again. I prefer writing it out fresh each day. It always comes out a little different and that’s fine! It’s an evolving mission!
2. Fifteen minutes of exercises and bringing my physical body to life. As we wake from sleep, the engine is just getting started. Not only to do we need to get the blood moving but we need to ratchet up the lymph system. The lymph system is another system of fluids that is really a part of the immune system. Here the toxins and dead particulates are being washed away. The blood circulatory system has a pump, the heart. The lymph system does not. It’s hydraulic. It requires movement. The minimum is 50 push ups, 50 jumping jacks, 50 air squats. the push ups can be against the wall instead of the floor. Rather than lifting all your weight, you can reduce the stress by doing these leaning push ups. Just make sure you really engage the shoulder girdle and your core. Somedays, I tackle the rebounder. It’s a mini trampoline I keep in my bedroom. If it’s good enough for astronaut training it’s good enough for me. Besides, it’s really fun.
3. On my big pad in my office, I have written in large letters, the 4 main projects I am working on. I can look at them and be instantly reminded what I am doing here on this earth. Right now, the 4 projects are:
10,000 Bottle Partnerships (A charitable endeavor), All American Omega-3 (new product), Intrawellness (where we train and certify health coaches to use dietary supplements) and OHB3 (the site you are reading now). These are the Big Picture projects that I need to make progress on everyday. I write these on my sheet of paper that is my Daily Record.
4. Next it’s Connections. Who am I waiting to hear from? This is the first column under connections. Secondly, who do I need to reach out to that will help any of my 4 projects to move forward? I write down these names in two columns.
5. Lastly, I write down Priorities. Jobs I can do to move my projects forward.
6. Only then, do I open the email accounts and scan for any messages from people I am waiting to hear back from. Leave all the superfluous stuff alone.
7. Staff communications: I set up parameters for the staff to work on. Usually done in 30 – 40 minutes.
8. This process uses a principle called block time. I set the agenda. I block the time and I do my work. If I look at Yahoo, then I am distracted. Whether it’s Kim Jong Il, or who Jim Carey is dating, nothing there on Yahoo is going to help me move my projects forward. If I randomly look through email, then I am allowing someone else to set the agenda. I know I send out a lot of email and I am trying distract you into visiting my site! So guilty as charged. However, the purpose of my email and postings are to help you solve problems. So hopefully, you are waiting to hear from me. 🙂 If I can help, I will.
That’s about it. If you are going to kick butt and get stuff done, you will need to be in charge and setting the agenda. Don’t get tripped off with nonsensical musings of celebrities and the political establishment. It can be amusing, sure. Taxes certainly will go up and taxes may come down, maybe. But you can only vote in November. You can read Yahoo in a set block time, but set a timer and get away from it when time is up. Same with the TV. I used to get stuck in front of the TV in the evening. It’s entertaining and mesmerizing but not productive. Get stuff done.