Memory Issues? Try Ginkgo Biloba
Select Your Discount:
You come in the house and set down your keys, go to the kitchen look in the fridge, decide you will go to the store real quick, but where did you put your keys? You thought you dropped them on the table right there in the vestibule but they are not there. As we grow older, memory problems start to appear. Many times the anxiety this causes can be overwhelming.
Two products we recommend for memory issues are True Omega-3 and Ginkgo Biloba. The omega-3 oils help with building block materials for your gray matter and Ginkgo Biloba is an extract that enhances blood flow to the brain.
Ginkgo Biloba 50:1 is standardized at 24% ginkgoflavonglycosides (or heterosides) and a minimum of 6% terpene lactones. Ginkgolides A & B are the most active fractions. Ginkgo Biloba has a wide range of effects, including inhibition of platelet activating factor, increased cerebral circulation and antioxidant protection.
Ginkgo Biloba Extract- How does it work?
Ginkgo Biloba works by increasing blood flow to the brain, and through the entire body’s network of blood vessels, which supplies oxygen and nutrients. Good blood circulation is essential for good health – better blood circulation promotes general longevity, and helps to keep you healthy.
Ginkgo has 2 groups of active components – flavonoids and terpene lactones including Ginkgolides A, B, and C, bilobalide, quercetin, and kaempferol. The Ginkgolides help control allergic inflammation and asthma. Ginkgo Biloba also acts as a powerful antioxidant, and helps kill the free radicals, which contributes to aging.
Ginkgo is well recognized for its positive effect on brain functioning – enhancing memory, mental alertness, and reducing mental fatigue and lack of energy. As Ginkgo works as a brain enhancer, it has obvious benefits for individuals who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. Even for a healthy person, Ginkgo Biloba can help improve brain function by preventing and treating conditions of cerebral vascular deficiencies, where there’s decreased flow of blood to the brain.
Ginkgo Biloba Benefits
Over the past 30 years, more than 300 studies have show Ginkgo Biloba to provide a host of benefits for the body. Not only does Ginkgo Biloba help improve mental functioning as mentioned above, it also has a long list of other benefits:
- Ginkgo works by increasing blood flow to the brain and throughout the body’s network of blood vessels that supply blood and oxygen to the organ systems.
- It increases metabolism efficiency, regulates neurotransmitters, and boosts oxygen levels in the brain which uses 20% of the body’s oxygen.
- Ginkgo may also help control the transformation of cholesterol to plaque associated with the hardening of arteries, and can relax constricted blood vessels.
- Benefits of enhanced circulation in the brain include improved short and long term memory, increased reaction time and improved mental clarity
- Ginkgo has been shown to be a supportive herb for treating infertility in males or impotence
- Ginkgo Biloba also helps prevent damage to your organs from free radicals, and also blocks the platelet activating factor which causes some skin disorders such as psoriasis
- Ginkgo Biloba’s beneficial effects on the circulatory system also helps in the treatment of eye and ear disorders
These listed above are just some of the major benefits of Gingko Biloba.
Ginkgo Biloba Side Effects
Despite the many benefits Ginkgo Biloba has, it also has some side effects you should be aware of. Especially for individuals with blood circulation disorders and those taking anti-coagulants such as aspirin – best thing to do is to consult with your doctor before using any.
Below are some Ginkgo Biloba side effects and cautions:
- Ginkgo biloba can cause some gastrointestinal discomfort and headaches
- Should not be used if your taking anti-depressant drugs known as monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) – there could be a negative drug interaction
- Ginkgo may increase risk of bleeding, and should not be used if you have a clotting disorder
- Ginkgo Biloba should not be used by pregnant women
- Other side effects include, headaches, restlessness, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting
If you experience any side effects you should lower your dosage of Gingko Biloba, and if the side effects persist, then you should stop using it all together.
Generally, Ginkgo Biloba supplements should be taking in range of 40mg to 200mg per day.