Some things are so simple.
I had a call from a client who is at retirement age, let’s just say it that way.
He had been on Omega-3s for several years but then kind of got tired of taking those capsules everyday and just didn’t bother to reorder. Two years later his cholesterol has jumped 40 points and the doctor wanted to put him on 80 mg of Lipitor.
But said client “T” decided to research Liptor first. To his shock and horror, the side effects were multitudinous and stark. With known side effects such as destruction of liver function, amnesia, muscle cramping, loose bowels.
Here is an excerpt from Lipitor’s own website:
What Are the Possible Side Effects of LIPITOR (atorvastatin calcium) Tablets?
LIPITOR (atorvastatin calcium) tablets can cause serious side effects. These side effects have happened only to a small number of people. Your doctor can monitor you for them. These side effects usually go away if your dose is lowered or LIPITOR is stopped.
These serious side effects include:
- Muscle problems. LIPITOR can cause serious muscle problems that can lead to kidney problems, including kidney failure. You have a higher chance for muscle problems if you are taking certain other medicines with LIPITOR.
- Liver problems. LIPITOR can cause liver problems. Your doctor may do blood tests to check your liver before you start taking LIPITOR, and while you take it.
Call your doctor right away if:
- You have muscle problems like weakness, tenderness, or pain that happen without a good reason, especially if you also have a fever or feel more tired than usual
- You have allergic reactions including swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and/or throat that may cause difficulty in breathing or swallowing, which may require treatment right away
- You experience nausea and vomiting
- You pass brown or dark-colored urine
- You feel more tired than usual
- Your skin and whites of your eyes get yellow
- You have stomach pain
- You have an allergic skin reaction
In clinical studies, patients reported the following common side effects while taking LIPITOR (atorvastatin calcium) tablets:
- Upset stomach
- Muscle and joint pain
- Alterations in some laboratory tests
The following additional side effects have been reported with LIPITOR (atorvastatin calcium) tablets:
- Tendon problems
Tell me, why on God’s Earth would anyone risk any of these side effects when there are completely natural ways to deal with elevated cholesterol. Then again we should define terms and say with numbers what is elevated cholesterol and even why should we care.
In fact, cholesterol is naturally occurring in the body and is responsible for several major body processed including hormone production and tissue repair. If the body feels it needs more cholesterol, the liver will oblige. It really doesn’t make much of a difference if you “eat” cholesterol in meat or your liver makes it, whatever your body says it needs, the liver will make up the difference. That’s a part of what is known as homeostasis.
By lowering your cholesterol artificially, you are gumming up some natural processes. By lowering cholesterol with a statin, you are depriving your heart, yes, your heart of needed Co-Ezymes factors, such as CoQ10. The heart being a muscle needs CoQ10 in order to create energy in the cellular mitochondria level.
A better way to deal with cholesterol, at least let me be so bold as to say, another way is to deal with the underlying problems of why your body might be requiring the liver to produce more cholesterol.
This table shows what is healthy, borderline and unhealthy levels. But instead of beating down the cholesterol number with a sledge hammer (Lipitor) why not go after the underlying causes of increased or elevated cholesterol.
The number one primary cause of elevated cholesterol comes from inflammation. It’s not necessarily from eating dietary cholesterol, but more than likely there is an inflammation taking place in the immune system(the gut), in joints, or in the cardiovascular system. The number one reason American are inflamed is two-fold: Too much sugar and too many bad fats (saturated fat, trans fats). What’s the simple cure? Eat less processed foods, or eliminate them to the best of your ability and replace those processed foods with healthy, clean, pure natural foods that don’t come wrapped in a plastic carton. Yes, I am talking about beans, broccoli, carrots, romaine lettuce, locally grown produce, fruits and anything organic that you can afford and get your hands on. Sure it requires peeling, cooking and you can’t make it ready in under 60 seconds. There is always a trade off.
I forgot to mention this at the beginning of this diatribe, but the really simple solution to high cholesterol is upping the fiber content of your food intake because it binds the cholesterol and carries it out of the body. And, Omega-3s of any sort as long as it high grade, good quality and fresh, will eventually lower the inflammation no matter what the source. Kick out the inflammation and the need for cholesterol diminishes. What could be more simple?
From T: Gary, I would like to thank you for the speed you replied to me and my needs. I have taken your products in past and they are superior to any other product. I will not be out again god willing. They are exactly what I need. I was very surprised you the owner would call me back.
Here a few months ago I sent my brother in law to you for the omega 3 and other products from Houston Texas and i will continue to send people to you. Thank you again.
T is a great client. He didn’t just take what the doctor said but he researched himself and took responsibility for his own health needs! That is to be commended and implemented! Let’s face it, health care is a scarey subject to even to start to discuss and it’s almost impossible to have a civil conversation about it with the heat of the election upon us. So let’s just steer clear of political harangues and take good care of ourselves. That is our patriotic duty to ourselves, our families and our country.
Post By Garey Simmons, CHC (277 Posts)
Garey Simmons is a certified health coach, dietary supplement expert and a member of the American Association of Drug-less Practitioners. Garey turned his health challenges around in just a few months by using Omega-3 oils and other vitamins and supplements, by becoming aware about nutritional remedies to lifestyle issues. Garey is a graduate of the New York Institute of Integrative Nutrition. Garey lives in Baltimore, MD.
Website: → Your Bridge to Health and Wellness
Search This Site
Health and Wellness Blog Articles
- 80% of Americans Make This Mistake
- This is Big
- Thanksgiving and $1 Shipping
- Holiday Preparation and Your Health
- Veteran’s Day To Do List
- Protect Your Liver from Modern Food-Like Substances
- Consistency – Commitment – Accountability: Keys to Success
- Download The American Red Cross Emergency Contact Info Card for Free
- Res-Q 1250 Alternative
- Emergency Information Card
- Personal News October 2013
- I Need Your Stories!
- Whatever Happened to Res-Q 1250
- BMI Calculator
- How To Improve Your Health by 60% Within 2 Hours
- Assessing Your Weight and Health Risk
- Emergency Contact Info Card to Download
- Wiley’s Finest
- 5 Elements of Energetic Health